Ramona, Starring With Whiteman, Says Boston People Hard to Please---New York Goes Waltzy

Viennese Melodies Played in Beer Gardens Gaining Numerous New Admirers

"Would it help my records sell in Cambridge if I told you that I think all Harvard men are nice?" asked Ramona, star on the Paul Whiteman program at the Keith-Boston theatre this week, as she was interviewed by the CRIMSON last night. "I hope they aren't as hard to please as the audiences we've been trying to please in Boston. In Baltimore a week ago we had really remarkable success, but up here it's one hard job arousing enthusiasm in a bunch of highbrow codfish.

"But whatever else this racket may be," she continued, "it's a lot of fun. As a matter of fact, I'm always sorry when we leave the road. This Whiteman crowd is a great bunch, and when we're all together, we're as happy as a bunch of college boys with full hip flasks.

"And while I'm on the subject of Whiteman, let me say that I think he's grand. (And for saying this I'm not paid much.) It was always my ambition to work with him almost since 1 must started playing at the age of three. But now that this goal is reached, I have a new one." She lowered her voice confidentially, "I'm heading for the legitimate stage; studying now, to tell the truth. First, though, I shall have to convince myself as to my ability."

Answering a query in respect to the trend in music at the present time, Ramona declared, "New York beer gardens are doing as much as any other one factor to effect the transition toward European popular music. They play German and Viennese waltzes almost exclusively, you know, and the public likes them. I'm only surprised that this type of music has not made greater progress already, because New York is certainly waltz-minded; and as New York goes, so usually goes the rest of the country in this respect."

Ramona's favorite sport is watching other people play golf and tennis. "The boys take me along because I keep quiet. I can't play a darn thing myself," she confessed. "My few idiosyncrasies, if you want to know them are: I always wear all black or white: I never go on the other side of a tree or post when anyone is passing; I like almost anything: and I've never fallen in love--maybe because I don't know many Harvard men."