UNIVERSITY BAND ADDS 41 NEW MEN TO RANKS

MEMBERSHIP NOW AT 100--SAME AS LAST YEAR

Admitting 41 new men this fall, the University Band brought its membership to 98, the number playing last year. In preparation for their first public appearance between the halves of the Bates football game Saturday, the musicians have already held a rehearsal and a marching drill on Soldiers Field.

As soon as the new men have purchased their red sweaters, probably before New Hampshire comes to the Stadium, the Band will appear clad in the traditional costume, of red sweater, white ducks, and white sailor cap. After coming out of formation, the men this year will take their places in front of both stands to render novelty symphonic arrangements of football songs. More specialties, like last year's "Wintergreen For President," are promised.

Although last October the Band acceded to the request of the Welfare and Relief Mobilization to play over a national network together with the bands of the Universities of Illinois and California, it makes no attempt to secure outside concerts.

William B. Tabler '36, the first Freshman drum-major the organization has ever had, will again twirl the baton.