THE ECONOMICS MAN

When Economics A was reorganized into a series of small discussion groups a few years ago, the department took care to reserve the lecture platform for such special occasions as might, in its opinion, require it. Since that time no such occasions have arisen.

Although regular lectures, particularly when dull and uninteresting, may not be practical in so controversial a subject as economics, there is reason to believe that an occasional lecture would serve to give the elementary course more unity. Undoubtedly, certain broad topics, such as socialism, tariff, and banking, do not lend themselves to adequate treatment in a small discussion group. They require a depth of learning and clearness of exposition which only the capable lecturer can offer. The discussion of certain other subjects in small groups often is robbed of value by those rabid partisans; ever present, whose personal convictions approach the rigidity of madness. Untutored remarks, even though inspired by the assurance that silence will be severely penalized, are apt to become more amusing than instructive. The need for a guiding voice is obvious.

Past experience leaves ground for the suspicion that a competent lecturer cannot be found for the purpose. If such be the case, or if it is considered that an occasional lecture might unduly smother the spontaneity of undergraduate economic thought, at least it should be required that the various section men in Economics A devote part of each hour to uninterrupted comment upon the text. This would assure a measure of uniform progress, and give the course an effectiveness which it now lacks.