NEWTON'S LAW

From Newton, that bewildering little suburb of Highlands, Falls, Centres, and Corners, yet enviably incorrupt in spite of the names it is called, comes word that the grammar schools will no longer annoy the proverbial little Johnnie with marks, but that the teachers at regular intervals shall consult with his parents, and only they shall know how their son stands in his studies. The result will be that the child, will no longer be harrassed by his parents' bribes and threats, or by his schoolmates scoffs, will with encouragement, go about his work free of care, and with a new enthusiasm.

Whether such a measure will eventually lead to a more complete academic freedom in the high schools seems unlikely. That the plan may work with young children has already been partially, but not satisfactorily, demonstrated. The average young man, however, does not possess sufficient foresight to wish to educate himself, and must have some immediate reward or threat to lead him on. That such is the case even with college men may be seen by the fact that the Tutorial System has not succeeded chiefly because the work offers no compensation, and is constructed both at the pleasure of the instructor and the student.

Even though the experiment may never reach the high schools, it must be watched closely, for should there be the slightest indication that these lucky children were not being as well educated as they were, a halt must be called to this academic backsliding. The private schools can afford to use these faney recipes on account of the comparatively small numbers they handle, but if ever there were a time that the public schools should provide thorough education for the mass of the population, it is now.