The NRA Parade

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Thank you very much for your editorial on the Cambridge N.R.A. parade. Your maturer rivals might well imitate occasionally the vigor and the clarity displayed in your attacks on the more obvious absurdities of our public life.

I notice that the Mayor of Cambridge pays little attention to the possibility that you are actually sincere in the belief that bally hoo cannot exercise the evils of the depression. He makes no attempt to answer your statements concerning the futility of the whole cheerio business, but with many a sterling platitude he attacks your presumed motives.

Now suppose this criticism was answered in a similar vein. One might say here is a mayor caught in a ticklish, political situation. He knows that, in addition to the ancient hostility of the town to the gown, there has been growing up a rather wide-spread resentment in Cambridge be the antics of a few New Era professors, and that he is very likely to be the recipient in the coming election of many a vocal brickbat aimed at the subrosa employment of these Messiahs. He well knows that his irrelevant answer to your editorial will be considered by the general public, an attack, not on the CRIMSON, but on Harvard.

If then we are to presume lack of sincerity in both parties to this discussion, may I ask which is the most reprehensible, the undergraduate acting from motives of self-glorification or graduate acting from motives of political expediency? A Graduate.