ACCOMMODATIONS IN HOUSES NOW 97 PER CENT RENTED

Shepherd and Dudley Halls Locked Due To No More "Overflow" Freshmen And to Larger House Enrollment

A survey of the accommodations in the seven Houses for students revealed that the Houses are 97 per cent filled in comparison with 95 per cent filled in comparison with 95 per cent which was the figure of last year's rental. Sixty-nine more students are now living in the Houses this year due to the reduction of rents which went into effect this fall.

The total enrollment of the Houses now is 1772 as compared with 1703 in 1932, and 1640 in 1931. The main reason for the great increase during the last year is that Bryant Hall, the new unit of Kirkland House, has been put into use this fall, and houses 40 students. If Bryant Hall were not completed and those now in that hall were put in the other rooms that are available, the Houses would be 99 per cent filled.

The present figures must be regarded as tentative due to the changes and adjustments which are still going on. Most masters were unable to be more accurate than to announce a figure within two of the number of students living in each House.

The number of students in each House are as follows: Adams House, 237; Dunster House, 222; Eliot House, 310; John Winthrop House, 253; Kirkland House, 228; Leverett House, 237; and Lowell House, 285.

Last year, the vacancies in the Houses would accommodate 72 students, while this year there is room for but 43 more men.

It was announced at the same time that the University closed Shepherd and Dudley halls for three reasons. The first is that more graduate students are living in rooming-houses, and the second is that there are no more "overflow" Freshmen living outside the Yard this year. Finally, the increased percentage of students living in the Houses is the third reason. However, Claverly Hall is practically filled, and Apley Court is half full.