ENROLLMENT DECLINES AT ENGINEERING SCHOOL

RESTRICTION OF HOUSES AGAINST STUDENTS BLAMED

A recently completed study of the last five years' enrollment in the Engineering School reveals a large and steady decline in the number of undergraduate students in the school. In 1929 there were 219 undergraduates, but this number has dropped to 67 this year. At the same time there has been a corresponding increase in the number of undergraduates concentrating in Engineering Sciences in the College. The number of Freshmen in the Engineering School has dropped in five years from 83 to eight, and of these only five are resident at the University.

The total number of undergraduates and the number of Freshmen in the Engineering School have decreased as follows:

The main reason for this shift is that membership in the Houses is not open to students in the Engineering School, and men desirous of undergraduate activities in the Houses must forego the opportunities of the Engineering School. But at the same time, undergraduate students have been advised to seek preparatory training in the field of Engineering Sciences in Harvard College, then entering the Engineering School as graduate students, continuing their work for a year or two more. However, a college diploma is not one of the requirements of the Engineering School, and those wishing to take a four year course there are restricted from membership in the Houses. Year  Undergrads.  Freshmen 1929-30  219  83 1930-31  190  57 1931-32  177  56 1932-33  106  14 1933-34  67  8