AMES COMPETITION AT LAW SCHOOL NEXT WEEK

Three Distinguished Jurists To Judge Merits of Semi-Final Arguments on Thursday and Friday

Semi-finals in the Ames Competition in the Law School will be held on Thursday, November 16, and Friday, November 17. On the former date, the Scott Club, represented by John French, Jr. 31, and Edwin McElwain 3L, will oppose Donald T. Field 3L and John F. Wood 3L of the J. Smith Club.

The other argument will take place between the Choate Club and the Lowell Club. Edward A. Haight 3L and William E. Lucas 3L of the Choate Club are matched against Franklin P. Hays 3L and Harry W. Lightstone 3L of the Lowell Club.

The following distinguished men will act as judges: John J. Parker, judge in the United States Circuit Court of Appeal of the fourth circuit; James A. Lowell '91. United States District judges for Massachusetts; and H. B. Henderson, United States District judges.

The Ames award is one of the most distinguished prizes in the Law School. All students are required to join a club during their first year, and to compete in the arguments. There are approximately 70 clubs, each having a membership of eight men. The two best men in each club are selected to compete for the Ames Award, and the names of the winners are engraved on a plaque in Laugdell Hall.