SAYRE IN FEDERAL POST NOT TO AID CRIME DRIVE

WILL LEAVE HARVARD AND STATE PENAL POST WITHIN WEEK

Country to previous reports, Francis B. Sayre, professor of Law and newly appointed assistant Secretary of State on Saturday, will probably not take part in the work of the Federal Anti-Crime Commission at Washington. In taking up his new duties in the Department of State, Professor Sayre is resigning his positions as commissioner of correction for the state of Massachusetts and director of the Institute of Criminal Law at the Law School.

In a statement given to the CRIMSON last night, Professor Sayre also said that it is quite unlikely that he will do any work on the constitutionality of the National Recovery Act. What he will do is entirely in the hands of the State Department.

He expressed regret that the new appointment would necessitate his leaving Harvard, where he has taught since 1917; but he feels that it is his duty to accept the larger position offered him by the government. He will not leave for Washington until some time next week, and under to circumstances until a competent man has been found to fill his post as commissioner of correction.

Professor Sayre is a son-in-law of the late President Wilson. He matriculated at Williams College, where he was later assistant to President Garfield.