First Harvard Gridiron Coach, Yacht-Designing Mathematician, Ignorant of Football Tactics

Changed Crimson Demoralization Into First Victory Over Yale in 1890

It was a few weeks before the Yale game of 1890 that six serious men gathered around a table in a dingy college room to think out a plan of strategy for the Crimson eleven.

From that smoked-filled room, a few hours later, walked the man chosen as Harvard's first head coach--a man who had never played football in his life.

George S. Stuart '84, whose football experience had been gained as yachting editor of the Boston Globe, faced a future that hold little promise. Yale had won the previous seven games, and was expected to win the eighth. The Great Pudge Hoffelfinger was on the Yale line, and the team had rolled up large scores against early-season competition. Harvard's team was demoralized.

Up to that time there had been no coach, doctor, or trainer. All these positions were filled by A. J. Cunnock '91, the captain.

But Stuart had seen the Yale team play. He was a good mathematician and yacht designer, and he applied his knowledge in a mathematical analysis of the Yale attack.

Enlisting the aid of Dr. W. M. Conant '79, who thereby became the Varsity's first physician, Stuart whipped his men into topnotch condition by stiff training unknown to previous teams.

On the day of the Yale game, the Varsity went on the gridiron at Springfield with ironclad instructions. The ends were to drive the play in, and the tackles were to break it up before it got under way.

For the first 45-minute half, the battle was a fierce one. During the 15-minute intermission the Yale men relaxed by sprawling on the field, as was the custom. But, Dr. Conant, exercising authority that has remained with football physicians over since, marched his men into a rude shanty, the first locker room.

Harvard went into the second half strengthened by Dr. Conant's medical care. The Yale attack increased in intensity, but Heffelfinger no longer swept the field.

When the period ended, the Harvard team, coached by a mathematician and yacht builder, had triumphed 12 to 6, in its first decisive victory over Yale.