IM WESTEN NICHTS NEUES

When the German phantasy "Barbering," despite the drafts and poor projection facilities of the Germanic Museum, attracted a flattering audience last April, the German Department announced its intention to sponsor a regular series of such productions, henceforth to be offered in the more commodious amphitheater of the Geographical Institute. Thus far the plan, admirable as it is, has borne no palpable fruit.

Since the unfortunate demise of the Fine Arts theater, the desirability of a series of German films sponsored either by the University or through the courtesy of some interested group has become especially evident. Although it may be true that Nazi propaganda has gone far towards maiming the current cinema in Germany, there are many less recent productions, readily available at slight expense, whose worth goes undisputed. Even the silent films made by such artists as Emil Jannings and Conrad Veidt display a subtlety of touch seldom if ever matched in the Hollywood mill.

In view of the really excellent facilities for projection available at the Geography Building, the problem of sponsorship and expense, already happily solved in the case of the French films offered periodically, should present no insurmountable barrier to this project. The educational advantages to be gained are too obvious for mention. But whether regarded from the purely cultural standpoint or looked upon merely as an opportunity for the undergraduate scholar to see and hear a difficult foreign tongue as spoken in its native habitat, the introduction of a series of well selected German films would serve a definite purpose in Cambridge. As it is not permitted to charge admission at the Geography Building, it might be possible at each performance to take up a collection to defray the expenses of what should prove to be a popular innovation.