WORLD WITHOUT END?

That economically and politically speaking, the world is very sick, even professors now admit; from every side come invocations of cure-alls and magic panaceas. Not the least bewildered by this year-long shower of ideological bonbons is the college man, who of all people should be attempting to view the situation with practical and theoretical clearness. To help him do this, New York University has begun a course of lectures, given once a week, on some topic of world economics, politics, or social problems.

Considering the need for it and the inadequacy of the present agencies, Harvard might with expedience and point, undertake a similar experiment. The lectures, as at New York University, could be given weekly at a convenient time and place. Members of the faculty might occasionally take the stand, and such men as Harold Laski, George Soule, and Edmund Wilson could doubtless be obtained with slight trouble or cost. Dealing with the political, social, and economic difficulties which beset the world, and seizing upon undergraduate interest in such problems at its present intensity, the course should not suffer from lack of attendance. It would, to a certain extent, clarify the muddled mind of the average student and make him mentally more healthy, less withdrawn and sheltered from the unquenchable unrest all about him.