POLITICAL CONFERENCE OF STUDENTS PLANNED

To Determine Future Role of Student In Politics -- Ten National Clubs Sponsor Plan

A call to college students all over the country to participate in a three-day conference in Washington to decide on whether a stand must be taken by them on political affairs, has been broadcast by nearly a score of student organizations. The conference will be held during the Christmas vacation, beginning Friday, December 29. Included among the sponsors are the Intercollegiate League for Industrial Democracy, the National Student Federation of America, the International Student Service, the National Student League, the Intercollegiate Disarmament Council, the League of Nations Association, the American Student Union, the Student Division of the Y.M.C.A., the Student Council of the Y.W.C.A., and the Committee on Militarism in Education.

The call, which was issued by the executive committee of the Conference, is for a National Conference on Students in Politics to determine whether the NRA means recovery, retrogression or revolution; whether another world war is imminent; and whether students have a responsibility in these matters. The purpose of the Conference is to convene a widely representative group of college and university students to consider the urgent issues of our time in the light of the political interests and responsibilities of the student classes. "Students of America are becoming aroused to the necessity of political consciousness," states the call. "This conference is being organized to give the man opportunity to discuss current national and international problems such as unemployment, economic maladjustment, nationalism, war, class and racial antagonism, and face squarely the alternatives proposed for their solution . . . It will be a deliberative, not a legislative mass meeting of students."