Senior Class Constitution Published Here For Ratification By 1934 Men at Election This Week

Constitution To Be Voted Upon By Seniors at Balloting Today and Tomorrow

The following is a copy of the articles of the Constitution of the Senior class. The constitution was originally drawn up for the Class of 1930 and was ratified by them. Since that time it has been the custom for each class to vote on this constitution in order to ratify it. On the ballots for voting today and tomorrow will be a space reserved for marking "yes" or "no" on the question of the ratification of the Constitution.

Article I

The officers of the Harvard class of 1934, after Commencement, shall be a secretary and a treasurer. There shall also be a class committee of eight members, including the secretary and treasurer, ex-officio.

Article II

The duties of the secretary and the treasurer shall be those customarily performed by such officers and such other duties as may be assigned to them by the class committee. They shall be regular members of the class committee with full voting power.

Article III

The class committee shall have powers and duties as follows: to determine as to reunions of the class and the conduct thereof, to appoint sub-committees from their own number or from other members of the class; to fill all vacancies in the offices of the secretary and treasurer and in their own elective positions; to remove any class officers or any of their own members; to conduct all elections to fill vacancies in their own number and determine within the limits herein prescribed the procedure for conducting such elections; to fix rules for the conduct of its own meetings and determine the number necessary for a quorum thereat; in all other matters concerning the class and its affairs not specifically mentioned therein, to determine what action shall be taken and to act on behalf of the class.

Article IV

The offices of secretary and treasurer shall be respectively filled by the secretary and treasurer elected at the regular senior class elections. The secretary and the treasurer shall if possible, be residents of Boston or vicinity.

Article V

The class committee shall consist of two ex-officio members, namely, the secretary and the treasurer, and six elected members. The chairman of the committee shall be chosen by the committee immediately after their election and thereafter immediately after each reunion beginning with the triennal.

Article VI

The-six elected members of the class committee shall be chosen by ballot by the class during the senior year at an election conducted under the auspices of the Student Council. Any member of the class (except an ex-officio member of the class committee) shall be eligible for election to the class committee. Of the six members to be elected, the three having the largest number of votes shall serve until after the sexennial reunion and the three remaining shall serve until after the triennial reunion.

Article VII

Immediately after the triennial reunion three members shall be elected to the class committee to fill the vacancies in the elective members. The retiring members shall serve as a committee to nominate six candidates for election to the three vacancies. A list of these six candidates shall be mailed to all members of the class, with a notification of a reasonable time for additional nominations. Additional nominations may be made within such time by petition addressed to the secretary and signed by at least three per cent. of the then living members of the class. From all the candidates nominated in these two manners, three members shall be elected to the class committee by postal ballot of the entire class. The members so elected shall serve until the decennial reunion.

Article VIII

Similar procedure shall be followed immediately after the sexennial reunion. The three members then elected to the class committee shall serve until after the fifteenth anniversary reunion. The members thus chosen at the elections held after the decennial and subsequent anniversary reunions shall hold office for terms of ten years.

Article IX

No member of the class committee shall be eligible for reelection at the election immediately following the expiration of his term of office. Members appointed to fill vacancies in the class committee shall hold office for the term for which their predecessors were elected and shall be ineligible for immediate election at the expiration of such term.

(Ed. Note. One or two points of the Senior Class Constitution requiring amplification have been called to the attention of the CRIMSON. The sections in regard to the Secretary and Treasurer being residents of Boston and vicinity were incorporated into the Constitution on the advice of graduates. Past mistakes seemed to show that this was the best method of keeping the class in closer contact with the College and the graduate organizations in Cambridge.

A precedent was also set last year of allowing other class officers to be elected to positions on the Class Committee. This committee does not' really begin to function until after leaving College and many men holding other offices might be just the type needed to carry on class affairs in later years.)