On the One Hand--

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

In your haste to uproot the R.O.T.C. at Harvard, to abolish war, to stop nationalism, and to promote a world revelation, you have overlooked a few small facts.

You stated that Annapolis and West Point are maintained "in the face of a large body of active opposition." So far, the opposition has been confined to a few disgruntled graduates who object to the Army football eligibility rules. But fet's keep football out of all this idealism.

Next you have the temerity to say that "the home economists and the (forest) rangers have not intruded themselves into liberal arts colleges." Without casting any aspersions upon Benningten or Dartmouth, I can point out that Harvard gives a course on "The Ethics of the Family," and that there is an Arnold Arboretum in Boston, and a Harvard Forest in Petersham. Furthermore, a graduate can become not merely a "ranger" but a "Doctor of Forestry."

Then you suggest that that academic credit should not be given for Military or Naval Science because they are "trade courses" and not liberal arts. Then what in thunder do you mean by "liberal" when, if you thumb through the University catalogue, you will find listed courses on "Musicology," "Weather-forecasting," "Aesthetics," "Sensation," "Accounting," and three on "Sanitary Engineering." You will also find, near the top of the list of academic seniority, a "Professor of Syphills, Emeritus."

If credit be given for all these assorted subjects, it should be given for the dignified study of navigation, ballistics, history, international law, and the essentials of leadership, which constitute the curriculum of the R.O.T.C.'s at Harvard. In short, a "liberal" University should offer as many and as varied courses as the interest of its students will support. Eugene Du Bois ocC.