Training Corpse

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Although your esteemed correspondent, Mr. Du Bois, is to be congratulated on suspecting a connection between military science and syphilis, he seems to have jumped at a conclusion regarding their exact relation in an academic curriculum. To begin with, he has not made clear whether he considers syphilis a trade or an art. Secondly, it should be pointed out that the efforts of the renowned professor, emeritus, were devoted to the stamping out of that malady, whereas no one contends that the R.O.T.C. departments concentrate the whole of their efforts toward the abolition of war. It is not rather idealistic to suppose that a student who has spent one-fourth of his college course learning the technique of war might not, in a moment of weakness, succumb to a desire to exercise that technique? Finally, since the study of syphilis involves the examination of every method of curing it, it is not unreasonable to suggest that military science should consider every method of curing the world of war, and that R.O.T.C. would become academically acceptable if a number of the lectures were delivered by competent pacifists. Comstock Glaser '35.