Russo-Japanese War Imminent, Says Bryan, Returned From Visit to Russia-No Enmity From Europe Over Recognition

"War between Russia and Japan is imminent," said Julien H. Bryan in an interview with the CRIMSON. Mr. Bryan, a noted author and traveler, recently delivered an illustrated lecture, "Russia Today," at Symphony Hall before a packed house. He returned just recently from a four-year visit to Russia as a free-lance observer.

"To Russia, war would be a disaster, since it would destroy its second Five Year Plan. Such a conflict would be precipitated only by Japan, probably using the railroad situation as a pretext. An aggressive move of this sort would not be preceded by a formal declaration of war; Japan would merely enter Russia and seize land, as she did in the Manchukuo dispute.

"Russia is growing stronger and stronger. If such an attack were made, Japan would have to make it within the next six months. Russia's current project of colonizing Siberia is purely a defensive move.

"This war, if precipitated, would probably see England, France, and Italy lined up with the United States in pro-Russian sentiment, while Germany and Austria in all likelihood would favor Japan. This, of course, is largely a matter of conjecture."

When questioned regarding the attitude of other nations toward our recognition of Russia, Mr. Bryan replied, "Japan has already shown more politeness toward Russia and the United States. Japan's pride is hurt by this move on the part of this country, which she had previously considered an enemy of Russia. England resents the move. It means that our products, which fit is better with the Russian plan, will be imported in preference to English manufactures. There is no hostility from England, however, and no opposition from France, Germany, or Italy.

"Russia, of course, is immensely relieved, believing that she now can face Japan. Our recognition of Russia deficitely brings this nation and Russia into much closer relations."