NO STALLS PERMITTED

With the approach of the reading period, discussion is once again raised with regard to the opening of Widener during the evenings. Although as in the past the plea comes from the entire University, at this time of year it comes more especially from Seniors, graduate students, and research students.

Even under ordinary circumstances, the hours after six o'clock constitute for these persons the most convenient hours of study. But under the combined pressure of reading period work, review for examinations, and thesis work, the library, and especially the stacks have become so congested as to make it difficult for the scholar to find either place or material to study during the afternoon, thus making evening study in the library more imperative than ever.

Especially for graduate and research students who are not members of Houses is the present arrangement most inconvenient, as they are left without any place to pursue their research work. The stalls, with their seclusion, quiet, and proximity to desired material, form an earthly paradise for scholars; yet one from which they are shut off, during the most convenient part of the day.

It would be desirable to throw open all Widener for use during the evenings of the reading period. Since the authorities have consistently turned a deaf ear to this proposal, they ought at least to consider the more modest one, framed for the benefit of Seniors working on theses and for graduate and research students, to institute some arrangement whereby the stacks might be available evenings. Such a suggestion could certainly not be turned down on the grounds of economy, for it involves no extensive lighting system, nor the employment of any large force of administrative officials. At the same time, it makes available to those who most need it, material which can be found no place else.