On The Union

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

On three days a week my first class is at 11 o'clock; but on account of the ridiculous limitation of eating hours in the Union, I am forced to rise at 8, to dress in a hurry, and to plow through the slush to the Union. Arriving there, I invariably find that the Union clock is at least two minutes ahead of all other University clocks, and at least five minutes ahead of Eastern Standard Time. A cute little rope is stretched across the entrance to the dining hall. In front of the little rope stands that imposing personage, Miss Murray. Cerberus-like, she prevents us poor mortals from passing through the sacred adit.

Since the authorities are of insufficient intelligence to devise a scheme whereby the breakfast hour may be advanced without abolishing student-waiters. I guess we will have to abandon this constructive suggestion.

There is, however, no reason in the world why Freshmen cannot be allowed to sign for only 14 meals a week if they so desire. A red card might be given students who have signed for 14 meals a week, a blue to those who have signed for 21. Of course this might be too difficult to manage for the great intellects which supervise the dining hall.

The only two other objections to this plan are that prices might rise ten or fifteen cents a week for those paying for all their meals, or else that one or two student waiters would lose their jobs. And as for the statement that the Union is one great big, happy family, where members merely share their breakfasts, this is the most preposterous figment of the imagination it has ever been my good fortune to come upon. Charles Ernst Sewer '37.