COUNCIL MOVES TO START INTRAMURAL DEBATES SHORTLY

Expects To Stimulate Wider Interest By Informal Contests--To Supply Material For Varsity

According to an announcement made yesterday, intramural debating, conducted in the same manner as intramural athletics, will soon be established. By the end of next week Victor H. Kramer '35 and Edward M. Rowe '27, newly appointed director of debating, expect to be able to choose a squad from each house including Phillips Brooks and to arrange a schedule so that debating may be began as soon as possible.

The debates will be conducted informally, and do not necessarily have to be on serious subjects. Any topic of interest to members of the University, or question of wide concern will be acceptable. The inter-house debates will be confined to men who are not on the Varsity debating squad.

In starting inter-house debating Mr. Rowe expects to stimulate wider interest in debating among the members of the University, and believes that these informal debates will attract many men that otherwise would not have shown any active interest. Such stimulation of interest, it is believed, will lay a better foundation for the regular University debating, and make it possible for prospective debaters to gain the experience necessary to become members of the University debating team.

The following statement was issued by Mr. Rowe yesterday: "Plans have been made for a series of inter-house debates on questions of peculiar interest to members of the University in the houses, as well as on questions of wider general concern. A committee will be formed in each house, and these committees will probably meet some time late next week. They will arrange the promotion of debating activity among the house members. From the warm responses we have had thus far from residents of all the houses there is every reason to hope that inter-house debating will become one of the more stimulating inter-house activities."