JAYVEE AND VARSITY HOCKEY SQUADS FORMED

TENTATIVE FIRST STRING TEAM SELECTED

With the division of the large squad of hockey candidates who have been practicing as a unit into a Varsity and a Jayvee squad, and the tentative selection of a first-string team, hockey activities have passed the initial period of indecision.

Twenty-eight men have been retained on the Varsity squad; the remaining 19 candidates who form the Jayvee squad have gone off the ice until January 2, when they return to meet the Whitman Hockey Club in the Garden on Thursday, January 4. The Varsity squad will continue daily practice in preparation for the opening clash with M.I.T. on Tuesday.

According to the present outlook, the first line will be composed of Hasler and Beale, at left wing and center respectively, retaining the positions they held on the third string line of last year's Varsity squad. With them at right wing will be Dunbar Holmes '35, a newcomer to Varsity ranks. As second string line it appears that Coach Stubbs will select William A. Lincoln '35, third string wing last year, Samuel R. Callaway '36, and Arthur F. Duffey, Jr. '36, both of whom had experience on the Freshman team last year.

The coaches have had no worry about a suitable person to fill the position of goal-tender because Captain deGive is counted among the best goalies in the country. However, the problem of defense has not been so easy to solve. William P. Piper '35, and Francis B. Gleason '34 are at present in the lead.