Death of Sheriff Fairbairn Stops Picturesque Career as Official at Harvard Commencements

The death yesterday of High Sheriff John R. Fairbairn of Middlesex County in his eighty-third year, calls to mind the important part this man, who has officiated at every commencement since 1899, has played in the life of Harvard.

The fact that Sheriff Fairbairn, known for many years as the Grand Old Man of Middlesex County, has died will not seem to be of great importance to the average Harvard student, but when he realizes that his degree cannot be legal unless the High Sheriff opens the ceremonies, he will understand the significant part this kindly old gentleman has played in Harvard life for the last thirty three years. At every commencement since 1899 he has donned his blue court coat with gold buttons, his white waistcoat, and top hat, and has marched in the annual June academic procession to open the ceremonies with a blow of his official sword on the rostrum and the traditional words, "The assembly will now come to order."

This opening ceremony is required by the charter of the University or else there are no degrees. It has been carried out by Mr. Fairbairn and his nineteen predecessors for every year since the establishing of the office of High Sheriff in 1692.

Mr. Fairbairn is famous for numerous other reasons besides his ceremonial duties at the Harvard commencement. Some of the most famous of New England's outlaws and murderers have been placed in his care, and he has been present at every execution except one since he became sheriff. In his collection of lethal weapons and souvenirs of notorious criminals and the crimes they have perpetrated throughout New England, is a splicing hook to make the noose fit more snugly around the victim's neck, and the famous letter given to Sheriff Fairbairn by a condemned murderer just before he went up the steps to the gallows. This letter warns that frequenting saloons or touching liquor in any form will sooner or later lead to the gallows.