STUDENT COUNCIL REVENUE REDUCED OVER 18 PERCENT

Tentative Appropriations To Foreign Student Committee and To Red Cross Cut 50 Percent From 1932 Figure

Due to the failure of a large number of undergraduates to pay to the Student Council the amounts pledged last September, the funds of the Council have been drastically curtailed, a shrinkage which in turn is affecting the work of the Council, and the drawing up of the annual budget. Figures in the possession of Hamilton Young '33, treasurer, indicate that the amount of pledges paid in to date totals only $5461, in comparison with a sum of $6723 that had been paid in last year at this time. The amount of pledges outstanding totals $3200 at the present time.

The routine collection of the pledges consists of mailing bills to those whose pledges are in the hands of the treasurer. In the last weeks of November, the Council mailed to defaulting pledgers bills requesting payment of the sums pledged, but only one-quarter of the amount owed was collected.

The Student Council has also suffered a smaller income than usual partly due to the decreased pledges made by incoming undergraduates on registration day; this lower pledge figure is accounted for by the conditions of finances of many undergraduates. Payment on the part of those who have pledged and then forgotten or failed, according to Young, would enable the Council to have finances comparable to the needs of the organization. Subject to final approval when time has been allowed for further payments, the budget which the Council is endeavoring to follow is roughly as follows: Red Cross, $250; Committee on Friendly Relations among Foreign Students $250; Salvation Army $125; Industrial Aid Society $125; Cambridge Boy Scouts $125; International Students' Service $125; and Phillips Brooks House $3000. An additional $2000 is for class expenses. Freshman receptions, and other routine charges.

The council's 1932 budget was as follows: Red Cross, $500: Committee on Friendly Relations among Foreign Students, $500; $850 divided among The Salvation Army. The International Student Society, The Industrial Aid Society of Boston, and the Cambridge chapter of the Boy Scouts of America Phillips Brooks House received $4000, which was, as usual, distributed to minor charity organizations directly connected with the House. Approximately $2000 was contributed toward class expenses: the cost of photographing nominees for class office amounted alone to $200.

The $6000 budget indicated above is the budget which the Council will be forced to tender pending the payment of pledges by students who up until this time have failed to make good the pay ment of oblgation signed in September. With the payment by men who until now have allowed their pledges to lapse, the council will be able to extend its service to the fields of charity, donations which as a basis of paper pledges if could make but which due to lack of undergraduate cooperation, must remain undone