IN THE SWIM

While the average college student is interested in the general problems of unemployment, he is more actively concerned with the aspects of the matter pertaining to recent graduates whose ranks he will soon join. According to a recent announcement an Alumni Section has been added to the National Student's League, destined to watch over, the needs of those of the unemployed who have had a college training. Its detailed alms are well summed up by the authors: "Actuated by a sincere belief that society should aid us until we can find positions, we demand unemployment insurance for jobless graduates. . .and free courses in graduate schools to help us retain our professional skill that we may be of some value when society needs us again."

Any determination of the position to be accorded such an institution as the Alumni Section must be based primarily on the justice of its claims on society, and hence, of its real value to society. It is undeniable that, as the organization contends, the nation needs doctors, lawyers, and other trained experts. But the recent indications that these fields are overcrowded are too weighty to be overlooked. If, in maintaining "free courses in graduate schools," the public is only salvaging material of which is already has a surplus, it should not be asked to contribute. Such an arrangement, moreover, would undoubtedly support a certain number of incompetent persons, who would never be of any real use to society.

In a time when so large a number of all classes are unable to support themselves, the "white-collar" workers should receive the same consideration as everyone else. This is particularly true of the recent university product. There are already men with dependents to do his work, and ho has yet to demonstrate his ability and value to the community. Furthermore, the very best men in these fields can find employment even today. There are still positions for research workers, and physicians, provided they are at the top of their class. The time for special "unemployment insurance for jobless graduates" is passed; it has become a question of relief for jobless of all ranks, to be carried out by the cheapest and most easily applicable means.