HEAD COACHES OF SPORTS TAKE ON ALL YEAR DUTIES

Ruling Will Not Be Rigidly Enforced, Says Bingham--No Definite Plans for Coaching Program Yet

Head coaches of all varsity sports will be expected to take on a year round schedule, beginning next September, it was learned yesterday at the H.A.A. Under the new arrangement, all coaches, including E. L. Casey '19, head football coach, will fill in during the off seasons in their own sports by coaching secondary teams, leading corrective exercise work, and so forth.

The ruling will not be rigidly applied, W. J. Bingham '16, director of Athletics, stated last night, but is rather a statement of the general policy to be pursued in regard to the coaching staff. The additional duties of the various coaches have not yet been mapped out for next year.

Reduction in Coaching Staff

A reduction in the size of the coaching staff, which at present comprises between 50 and 60 men, will be the logical result of the new policy, it is believed. The measure is in line with the policy of the H.A.A. to reduce expenses wherever possible during the coming year. The reduction in the football coaching staff to five men was announced last week.

Used at Yale and Princeton

The plan has already been tried out to a limited extent in other colleges, notably at Princeton where Fritz Crisler was appointed coach of basketball as well as football, and at Yale, where Reginald Root, a member of the faculty, has been head football coach.