Crimson's Walter Winchell Tracks Down Nightly Habits and Haunts of Upperclassmen--Finds Freshmen Studious

Do you spend your evenings at home? Not if you're an Upperclassman and live in one of the Houses; on the other hand if you're a Freshman you probably study more than you go out. Last night the CRIMSON's Walter Winchell poked his nose through the keyholes of Danster, Lowell, and Leverett Houses, together with half the Halls in the Yard. He found that: 46 per cent of the natives of the Dunster go out on more than half the evenings in the week, 43.8 per cent of those in Lowell, 47.6 per cent of the members of Leverett, but only 29.1 percent of the Freshmen.

Furthermore, more studying is done by the Freshmen than by any other class in College, believe it or not! Hero are the figures: 34.6 per cent of the Freshmen study the greater part of the evening, 24 percent of the Dunsterians, 27.5 per cent of those in Lowell, and 31.5 per cent of those in Leverett.

Then, too, a great many spend their 'spare time playing bridge, poker, or just plain, "bulling." 20.9 per cent do this in the Yard, 28.7 percent in Lowell, 18 per cent in Dunster, and 19.8 per cent in Leverett. At first the CRIMSON's Winchell started to classify those ways of spending time, but he found that this embarrassed people a great deal. For example, there was the chap who solemnly asserted that he spent all his time studying. "Yes, of course," Crimson chell agreed, politely, trying hard to avoid looking at the debrit of last night's poker game. Then there was the Freshman who said, "Me? Sure I go out every night; the milkman puts me to bed. But don't publish that!"

At one door the reporter knocked as usual and heard the occupant of the room arise to open it. Then his eye fell on the name-plate. "Henry penny packer." Needless to say he was not given the privilege of an interview.

At Dunster House the very first man who was questioned turned out to be a Lampoon editor! No truth to be found there! Aside from that Dunster wasn't so bad. The seeker after knowledge discovered that 24 per cent of those resident therein studied a fair amount of the time, 18 percent had bill session" or bridge parties, 12 per cent were away for at least the early part of the evening on extra-curricular activities (it is well known how Lampoon editors spend their nights), and finally there was the 46 per cent that habitually passes its evenings elsewhere. One man on the fifth floor claimed that he retired every night at 8 o'clock sharp.

Bridge seems to be one of the favorite diversions in the Houses. Crimsonchell broke up a dozen games at Lowell House. The same was true at Dunster, but nary a game did he find at Leverett. Also, only 1.1 per cent of those in Leverett engaged in extra-curricular activities. Most either studied or went out.

The Freshmen were the most divided of all: 20.9 percent held bull sessions regularly, 3.6 per cent had extra-curricular activities, and 11.8 per cent didn't know what they did! Only two out of every six rooms were occupied when the reporter first called at Dunster, and three out of six in both Lowell and Leverett, whereas the Yard rooms were nearly five out of six.