THE H IN SWIMMING

Aided by the excellent facilities of the New Indoor Athletic Building, the importance and popularity of swimming have increased greatly in the few years in which it has been a minor sport. It would be only just for the Athletic Association to recognize these facts and raise swimming to the rank of a major sport, as was done with hockey some time ago.

To be sure, swimming is laboring under no particular disadvantages as a minor sport at present, but its establishment as a major sport would give it an additional prestige which it seems to deserve. Yale has already raised its team from the group of minor sports, thus putting Harvard at somewhat of a disadvantage in the dual meets.

It is difficult to define precisely what a major sport is or should be. Mr. Bingham pointed out two years ago that the number of men engaged is not vital, since tennis is not a major sport, and that age is not a necessary factor, since lacrosse, although considerably older than hockey, is still a minor sport. Tradition and the size of the crowd attracted have something to do with the matter, and in any case, a great deal of interest must be shown before any athletic game can be raised to the rank of a major sport.

Members of the swimming team undoubtedly keep stricter training than men engaged in some of the other sports, and they certainly receive as stiff work-outs, if those factors are of any importance. Still another argument in favor of the recognition advocated is the fact that an increase in the number of major sports would tend to diminish some of the unnecessary glory which at presents hovers about them.

On the whole the requirements of a major sport seem to be intangible onces, a mixture of prestige within the college and interest displayed. Swimming appears to have these requisite attributes, and should in justice be elevated to the rank of a major sport.