BROOKS STARTS DRIVE FOR 1936 SOCIAL WORK

OVER 80 STUDENTS NOW WORKING ON SOCIAL SERVICE PROJECTS

Following the theory that has proved successful in past years, the Philips Brooks House has started its drive to interest Freshmen in the Social Service work done by students of the University. The Social Service Committee explained yesterday afternoon that, although it made connections with the first year men early in the fall, it did not follow, these up, since experience has proved that best results were obtained by asking the men to come out for this work after the mid--year exam period.

Already in the fall and early winter some 80 men have given their services regularly to Social Services projects, and have taken part in many different types of work. A large percentage of these men are graduate students, although many undergraduates have shown an interest in the work done at the settlement houses in the past few years.

Last spring, swelled by an enthusiastic influx from the class of '35, 150, men took part in Social Services activities. The work done by volunteer students includes coaching in athletics and debating, and instruction in elementary sciences and teaching English to foreigners for the purpose of naturalization. A new service on the part of Phillips Brooks House has been to provide orchestras, made up of students, to play for dances in the settlement districts.