The Classics Forever

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

In the CRIMSON of February 1 there appeared a letter laying the blame for the decrease in interest in the Classics at the door of the department on the ground that too much attention is paid to the mechanical work of grammar and translation. The author closed with the statement that if the Classics are to regain their old popularity they must be studies "as the modern languages are."

Of course the obvious answer to this sort of reasoning is that it is impossible to treat anything as a work of art unless it be thoroughly understood; which is only possible after long and careful study of the many details in which the ancient languages differ from modern. This work must be preliminary to any broader treatment of literature.

Now while it is true that heavy emphasis is laid on the mechanical side of the work, it is also true that careful attention is given to the place of the Classics in literature. As far as I know, all courses, except the most elementary, assign reading of criticism and history like Duff and Croiset. Classroom lectures give as much supplementary matter as is necessary on the work read. It is thus not true that this side of the literature is neglected.

Finally, it must be remembered that a valuable function of the Classics is the formation of a good English style; a man who can think and write accurately in Greek will not be sloppy in his English. For at the base of good style lies sure knowledge of the meaning and place of words, a study usually omitted in English.

Thus this detailed study is necessary, if the full benefit of the Classics as literature is to be realized; for from it comes accuracy of expression and thought that is of value, not only in Latin B or Greek 2, but as well in the study of the Modern Literatures. Indeed, what but this study of form as well as content makes the reading of the originals so much more valuable than reading translations, however good? (Name withheld by request.)