FRESHMEN STAR IN UNIVERSITY MEET

Morse Wins 600-Yard Event Starting From Scratch--Murphy Wins From Higgins by Wide Margin

The second and final day of the winter handicap track meet, at Soldiers Field, was marked by many exciting events, and particularly by the performance of the Freshmen, who fully acquitted themselves after their mediocre showing on the first day of the meet. The first-year mon swept the broad-jump, and W. D. Hardwick '36, placed first in the 50-yard dash.

J. M. Morse '34 ran a beautiful race in the 600, the most exciting event in the meet. Starting from scratch, Morse covered the distance in one minute, 16 seconds, three-tenths of a second before S. C. Dorman '33, with a handicap of 15 yards, crossed the finish line. N. P. Dodge '33 was third in this event.

The 1000-yard run was notable in that none of the contestants who received handicaps succeeded in placing. Because there were two heats, the race was against time, and though R. D. Murphy '35 started a good 30 yards behind the rest of those in his heat, at the finish he was almost as far ahead, winning in three minutes, 15 seconds. J. S. Hayes '33 turned in a nearly similar performance, coming next to Murphy in three minutes, 17 and three-fifths seconds.

In the 50-yard dash, W. D. Hardwick '36 swept through the three heats without being seriously threatened, although a handicap of five feet, one inch served him in good stead. His time was five seconds flat. T. W. Williamson, who is also a Freshman, was only two-fifths of a second behind Hardwick.

The greater experience of Luther Scheffy '35 enabled him to win the high jump. Though he had a handicap of only one inch, Scheffy jumped five feet, nine inches. H. R. Withington '35, and J. C. Prescott '36, both with a handicap of three inches, tied for second place with jumps of five feet, eight inches each.

The track meet this winter was keenly contested throughout. In two or three cases, men who were outstanding in one field or another lost to comparative unknowns. The long-distance running events were more popular than any others, though they were no more exciting than the dashes and hurdles. The meet was marked by the fact that no one individual could be picked as having carried off the honors, which is an indication that the track squad this spring should have considerable good material in all fields.

The summary of yesterday's events:

50-yard dash--Won by W. D. Hardwick '36; second, T. W. Willamson '36; third, A. S. Downer '34. Time--5sec.

600-yard run--Won by J. M. Morse '34; second, S. C. Dorman '33 (15yards); third, N. P. Dodge '33. Time--1min. 16sec.

1000-yard run--Won by R. D. Murphy '35; second, J. S. Hayes '33; third, J. T. Higgins "34. Time--3min. 15sec.

High jump--Won by L. Scheffy '35 (1in.) second, H. R. Withington '35 (3in.); third, J. C. Prescott '35 (3in.) 5ft. 9in.

Broad jump--Won by M. Z. Peisner '36 (1ft. 6in.); second, S. W. Pillsbury '36 (2ft); third, T. A. Bittenbender '36 (2ft.) 21ft. Sin. Sin