LYNCH FLAYS NEW FIRE BUILDING AS FLAGRANT WASTE

Station No More Necessary Than River Widening--Five Million Squandered In Recent Years

Among the extravagances committed by the Building Commission which J. D. Lynch, member of the Cambridge School Committee, scored in a recent statement, was the new Fire Station which is now being erected on the plot of ground between the Yard and Memorial Hall, the site of the Old Rogers Building. Lynch cited this structure which will cost $250,000 as an example of the flagrant wastefulness and graft of the Mayor and City Council.

When asked for a statement, he said: "There is no more need for a fire station than there is for widening the Charles River. The place is surrounded by fire houses." This he pointed out "is but a single example of the work of the 'building racket.' They have spent $6,000,000 on building in Cambridge where $1,000,000 would have sufficed."

Officials expect the structure to be completed by November 1. It will be of brick and wood in Colonial style.

Excavations Begun

The Rogers Building, a former gymnasium, was torn down about a week ago. Excavations for the new building were begun at once and are expected to be finished about a week from now, if the present favorable conditions persist. When the excavations have been completed the actual construction work will begin and probably will be done in eight or nine months. No difficulties with strikers or communist agitators are expected because of the present economic conditions.

The fire station will be of Colonial architecture, designed to harmonize with the surrounding buildings of the College. it will consist of a main building, parallel to Broadway, and a wing, parallel to Quincy Street. The main building will be of brick, three and one-half stories high, topped with a state roof and a belfry. The wing will be of wood and two stories in height only. The station will contain the fire apparatus for this vicinity.

The fire house is expected to cost about $250,000--which amount has been appropriated for its construction by the city of Cambridge. The money was raised in two ways: $20,000 in a tax levy definitely for this purpose made in 1931 by the order of the legislature; $230,000 in a loan for 20 years at three and one half percent interest, which was obtained by a bond issue distributed on Feb. 1 through the local-bankers