RACHE

When Dr. Whittem worked out the plan of study now pursued in French 2, he was admittedly rather uncertain as to the purpose of the course. This uncertainty has not been shared by these attempting to meet the language requirements, for they have eagerly seized upon French 2, and to a lesser degree French 1, as a valid and easy means of satisfying these. The result is an overcrowded course, presenting poorly organized and uninteresting material to a group of students whose only purpose in the course is meeting the language requirements in the simplest possible manner. Such a course does not belong in the Harvard curriculum.

Under the present arrangement French 2 undertakes to teach literal translation of plays, rapid reading of classics, French composition, and a history of French literature of the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. The aims of the course are far too extensive; consequently the material is presented in a haphazard fashion by men who being aware of the weaknesses and elementary character of the course, are not much more anxious to teach than their students to learn. Nor does French 2 prepare a student to do any of the specific reading which may be required of him later in history, government, or scientific courses.

In order that the French department may present a course which will bridge the gap between the adequate French A and the informative French 6, as well as satisfy the men who have had too little French in preparatory school to meet the language requirements, it seems wise to reorganize French 1 and 2 along radically new lines. The reorganized courses should be of the same intensity and difficulty, neither containing work in composition, and both subordinating literal translation in class to discussion of the author being studied and his contemporaries. French 1 would cover classical literature, thus preparing men for further study of French literature, while French 2 would concentrate on French prose of the 18th and 19th century, equipping a student to read French treatises in such courses as he may pursue later in his career. In such a manner two courses which are now white elephants in an otherwise efficient department, might be reorganized into courses filling a prevalent need in an intelligent fashion.