GOGARTY GIVES MORRIS GRAY TALK IN WIDENER

Friend of George Moore, Yeats, Synge, "A.E.," Stephens, and Joyce, Lectures This Afternoon

"Last of the makers of the Irish Literary Renaissance" and "the wittiest man in Dublin" are two of the titles given to Oliver St. John Gogarty, who will give the Morris Gray Poetry Talk in the Poetry Room of the College Library at 4.30 o'clock this afternoon.

Dr. Gogarty, who is a poet, doctor, and senator of the Irish Free State, has been the intimate friend of George Moore, Yeats, "A. E.," Synge, James Stephens, and James Joyce, his famous fellow-townsmen. Despite the brilliance of this company, Gogarty always fascinates his friends. When he talks, piling imagination with breath-taking invention, they listen and remember. One of his companions describes him as "overflowing with wit, gaiety, laughter, and Aristophanic joy." It was in Gogarty's garden that George Moore conceived the idea for "Ave, Salve, Vale." An apple tree in Gogarty's garden was the inspiration for Moore's "Tree of Vision." Gogarty himself is the Buck Mulligan in Joyce's "Ulysses."

But Gogarty is more than a wit. Recently in "An Offering of Swans" and "Wild Apples" he surprised his closest friends by writing lyrics as precise as heaven gems or as delicate as a beautiful change of light. The talk is expected to be one of the outstanding cultural events of the year.