LEVERETT HOUSE

Leverett House, secure in its wisdom, has no pretensions. The trenchant phrase "Leavitt and Peirce" has more of a dormitory ring than "Mather and McKinlock." In the effort to conceal its identity the House even renounced such an abortive distinction as the Kirkland tower. Definite, but not startling, is its situation on both sides of Mill Street, between Plympton and Bow, conveniently near to the Weeks foot bridge, and to the delights of the Business School Cafeteria. Perhaps the only truly unusual thing about the House is its much discussed, trapezoidally shaped, and subtly concealed dining hall, graced at House dinners by the stuffed bunny.

The inhabitants are blithe, bespectacled souls, and are quiet as mice. They participate in inter-House athletic activities most perfunctorily, and often have quite a struggle to assemble a quintet for basketball. Any attempt to incite group activities within the unit meets with the same chilly reception that greeted the short-lived Economics Society. There is some indication of the prevailing spirit in the fact that Leverett was the last to retain a House Committee selected by the master. Some attempt to graft consciousness of the Houe Plan onto the residents has been made by the new elective committee, but it is still considered wise to insure the success of a dance by banding together with Adams. In other directions, paradoxically, the committee has met with success; the library is kept up to date, and the Music Room, an idea which originated in the House, has an excellent, though limited collection of records.

House Dinners are a little more socially enlivening than would be expected, but a visit to the common room after almost any meal reveals that fraternity has not thawed the icy rodent heart. In all things a sober, studious tenor is preserved, an anomalous condition which has several causes: many resent the appellation, "Rabbitt"; others are browbeaten by the influence of Mather, which has been aptly likened to a prison yard; but chiefly, there is a pervasive atmosphere of dignified indifference, established by the more mature residents, which, though stultifying, is not without its merits.