Gregory S. Bryan Hall will be the name of the new dormitory unit to be built on the present site of the Dunster House Book Shop, on South Street, to complete the smaller quadrangle of Kirkland House.
Funds for the new building will be supplied from a bequest made to the University in 1931 by the will of the late Gregory Seeley Bryan '87, of Washington, Connecticut, to provide a memorial which was to bear his name. The frame house which now occupies the location will be removed, and construction will be started on April 1 in order that the new building may be ready for use at the opening of the next academic year.
Many Singles Planned
Plans, which have been prepared by the firm of Coolidge, Shepley, Bullfinch, and Abbott, provide for a five-story dormitory unit which will accommodate 40 students. There will be four single and two double suites on each floor. As a result of this extension, Kirkland House will have facilities for about 250 men, the average for the seven other units in the House Plan. These plans were considered and approved at a meeting of the President and Fellows of Harvard College, on Monday, March 13.
At the time the Smith Halls were remodelled to form Kirkland House, a new Master's house and dormitory unit were erected at the corner of South and Dunster Streets, and a second unit was built near the corner of South and Boylston Streets, adjoining the Hicks House, which serves as the Kirkland Library.