Cruiser "Portland," Now in Navy Yard, Well Defended Against Air Attack, Says Williams--Naval Science Men Inspect Ship

"An airplane attack on the 'Portland' would not be much of a picnic for the aviators," said Commander R. S. Williams, professor of Naval Science and Tactics, yesterday to a CRIMSON representative, discussing the newly commissioned "treaty cruiser" which is now open to the public Saturday and Sunday afternoons in the Boston Navy Yard. The ship is being inspected by members of the Naval Science department. "There are eight five inch anti-aircraft guns which can shoot 78-pound shells eight miles up into the air, and eight 50-calibre anti-aircraft machine game. If by any chance as airplane should get close, the anti-machine guns would fire a stream of 2500 bullets per minute in barrage form.

"Four airplanes may be kept ready for launching, two on top and two inside large hangars amidships. In addition, four places are carried in reserve during peacetime and eight during a war. The planes, which may scout ten or 15 miles away, report by radio to the 'Portland' any corrections to be made in firing at targets.

"The 'Portland' itself is 610 feet long and 66 feet abeam. She draws 19 feet and is about s high as some of the Harvard towers, 136 feet. Since every attempt has been made to keep the fittings of the ship light, aluminum alley fittings replace steel, aluminum paint is used internally, and welding has been employed wherever possible instead of riveting.

"The principal armament of the vessel is nine eight-inch game arranged in three triple gun turrets. The three guns in each turret are in one sleeve and are moved together. These cruisers are the first to carry eight-inch guns of 55 calibre obtaining a range of 34,000 yards, approximately 17 nautical miles and nearly 20 land miles. They fire shells weighing 260 pounds.

The Portland has a maximum speed of 33 knots an hour and develops a maximum speed of 109,000 horsepower, more than three times as much as our latest battleships. It carries 52 officers and 720 men in the crew. Food is cooked by means of an oil range and the bakeshop are heated by electricity.