THE DOCTORS' DILEMMA

The Association of American Medical Colleges, has proposed to employ aptitude tests as an admission requirement to Medical Schools throughout the country. Since twenty percent of the Medical students drop out before attaining a degree, the situation has long called for some remedy. But whether these tests are sufficient to handle the problem is a highly questionable point.

Aptitude tests may be interesting mental gymnastics, but it is doubtful if the abilities of the human mind can be lined up and measured with a yard stick. The extent of even an average intellect could scarcely be gauged in the course of a few hours examination. Such examinations have proved worthwhile in conjunction with College Entrance Examinations and the selection of skilled labor. The real difficulty would seem to lie in applying them to the more mature and developed minds of students seeking entrance to Graduate Schools. The system has been tried at law schools and found wanting. It was found that the questions of the trained lawyers who gave these test did not yield satisfactory results. Their professional attitude hindered them from reaching a proper level for the raw applicant, as yet unschooled in the legal point of view.

For men considering Medical School, aptitude tests seem still more inappropriate. The vastness of the field of Medicine, including general practice, research, surgery, and clinical work affords room not for one type, but for a variety of individual abilities. In addition the power to answer short questions cleverly gives no indication that the prospective student can work out long and painstaking scientific problems, which often call for a slow and accurate order of intelligence not brought out by tests.

The Harvard Medical School has used to advantage different criteria in sifting out its applicants. Personally, character, and financial resources have been recognized to be as fully important as marks received in examinations. Furthermore sound health is a great consideration in carrying out strenuous laboratory work. While the layman can hardly pass judgements on Medical Aptitude tests, the system as a whole does not appear to be the best means to raise the calibre of students in American Medical schools.