$100,000 BEQUEST WILL GO TO GRAY HERBARIUM

Earl Willson Bemis of Worcester Gives Money For Use on Plants--Asa Gray Founded Collection

A gift of $100,000 by Earl Willson Bemis, of Worcester to the President and Fellows of Harvard College, the income only to be used for the general purposes of the Gray Herbarium, was announced last night by H. L. Shattuck '01, Treasurer of the University. It will be reported to the President and Fellows at their next meeting on Monday, March 13.

The Gray Herbarium is situated in the Botanic Garden of Harvard University on Garden Street, Cambridge. It includes a collection of more than 800,000 sheets of mounted specimens representing the flowering plants, ferus and fern-allies from all parts of the world. The original collection was founded by the late Asa Gray and given by him to the University in 1864.

Owing to the growth of the collections, as well as to insure safety from fire, the original building was taken down and rebuilt by sections during the years 1909 to 1915. The present building includes the plant collections, library and laboratories, and also quarters used by the New England Botanical Club. Curator of the Gray Herbarium is B. L. Robinson '67, Ass. Gray Professor of Systematic Botany.