PENNED

Appointment of a central committee for the distribution of Freshman applicants among the Houses comes as a belated but most pleasant surprise, and it is to be hoped that through the use of this central bureau, the ideal of a cross section may be more nearly approached in each House.

Two points are rightly stressed in the official announcement. The first one, concerning the placement on the application of specific reasons for preferring a certain House, deserves particular attention, for if possible, as the CRIMSON pointed out last week, no man should be kept out of a House if he has a logical and sound reason for wishing to enter it. Secondly, it is justly pointed out that Freshmen will be wise to play safe by applying in groups, so that they may be assured of the companionship of certain friends. Every effort should be made by the committee to put these groups intact into one or another House.

It must be recognized, however, that the new committee is faced with a real job in throwing the new plan into gear in two weeks. Undoubtedly some mistakes will be made, but with the goodwill and cooperation of all concerned, particularly the House Masters, this central bureau will go far towards correcting the present unfortunate situation and setting a model system for future years.