FOOD FOR ALL

In order that those students who do not have access to any of the University dining halls, and who are forced to eat one or more meals a day in Cambridge, may not go hungry during the bank holiday, temporary arrangements have been made whereby a dining hall on the second floor of the Union is available to them. As stated elsewhere in this morning's CRIMSON, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, served at the customary Harvard dining hall prices, will be charged on the term bills of those who present a bursar's card.

This is a judicious move, taken speedily at a crucial time. But it brings into sharp relief the condition of those men, who normally being denied the privileges of the University dining halls, eat irregular and poorly-planned meals at the moderately priced restaurants on the Square. Some may like this free-lance dining, yet it may be that the students who eat in this way are prevented from enjoying anything better by their exclusion from the University dining halls.

The University, in establishing this temporary Union dining room, has most certainly relaxed its hitherto exclusive policy. In view of the increased emphasis being placed on students dining together in the Houses, the position of those denied this privilege has become more and more anomalous. Space, kitchen equipment, and service all being available in the Union, there is no obvious reason, demand warranting, why the present plan should not be made permanent, thus meeting a long standing need with the same spirit in which the present emergency has been countered.