ON A BICYCLE BUILT FOR TWO

Even in these days of abject pessimism at least one business organization is finding conditions much less adverse than supposed. The Cycle Trades of America, a trust more in keeping with muttonleg sleeves than air transport lines, has announced that the bicycle is coming back. If a thirty percent increase in bicycle sales over 1928 is any criterion, we shall soon be discarding our Fords, if any, in favor of the more economical two-wheeler. Wellesley has already grappled with the problem of four hundred careless cyclists--women drivers are as dangerous on two as on four wheels and Princeton, aping its northern sisters, has for years shocked Nassau Street with its recklessness.

Should the prognostications of the New York Times and Herald-Tribune be correct. Harvard must soon succumb to the rebirth of the cycling fad. Then will Dunster forfeit the grandeur of isolation, and then, too, will Jefferson and Mallinckrodt be near enough the Charles to permit Winthrop and Eliot to breakfast in leisure. Radcliffe and Harvard will take a Sunday afternoon spin on a "bicycle built for two," while the more ambitious undergraduate will in one short hour pedal to Wellesley. If Harvard is to be Anglicized, the process may as well as not be complete. The Master of Lowell has set a noble example: may all Harvard bravely follow his lead.