P. B. K. ELECTION CHANGE APPROVED BY ALL MEMBERS

Junior Eight To Be Selected in Middle Of Year--Will Allow Admission of More Honors Men

Recommendation for a change in the method of electing members to the Phi Beta Kappa Society was approved at a meeting of the undergraduates of the society last night in Leverett House Common Room. The new measure has four points: 1. That eight Juniors be admitted after midyears. 2. That 16 Senior be admitted at the beginning of the Senior year. 3. That between 40 and 50 Seniors be admitted at the end of the Senior year at the discretion of the electors. 4. That, to the undergraduates group which now does the electing be added 7 graduate members, including the President of the University, the Dean, and two members of the Faculty.

At the December meeting, the undergraduates of the society expressed dissatisfaction with the present system of elections. This was caused by the fact that many members elected in the Junior year and early in the Senior year fail to get high honors at the end of the college term. As a result, a committee was appointed by G. H. Chase, president of the society, and Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

The present method of admittance allows election of 6 Juniors at the beginning of the Junior year, 32 Senior at the beginning of the Senior year, and 25 Senior at the end of the Senior year. At present, a graduate committee confirms all elections which are made by the undergraduates.

The recommendation will be handed to a meeting of both graduates and undergraduates on Monday, June 19.