CRIMSON PLAYGOER

Genius and Weaknesses of the Colored Race Shown In Wild Rhythm and Naive Technique

By E. W. R.

"The Story of Louis Pasteur" and "The Voice of Bugle Ann" are showing this week at the Paramount and Fenway. Both are drawn from the realm of fact: the first from the career of a courageous ploneer; the second from a trivial homicide in the mountains of Missouri.

Few spectators have any knowledge of the character of Pasteur to act as a check on the performance of Muni. But the stolid determination, the unflagging perseverance, and the simple kindliness so ably portrayed by Muni jibe nicely with the popular conception of what the quite genius must have been. The plot as well as the character keep a close grip on fact. A vivid notion is given of the stern battle of a humble scientist against ignorance, fantasy, and professional bigotry. Coupled with the accuracy, however, there is a most judicious selection of dramatic incident. Foremost in this line is the scene in which Pasteur is compelled by circumstance to call upon his proud, disdainful opponent, Dr. Charbonnet (Fritz Leiber) to attend the birth of his granddaughter.

Lionel Barrymore, Spring Byington, and Eric Linden are lifted intact out of "Ah Wilderness" to present once again the picture of man, wife, and son in "The Voice of Bugle Ann." But this time the emphasis is on the father, who commits murder for the love of the lady in the title role. Bugle Ann, the unwitting cause of the strife, is a lovely female hound, whom Lionel won't let anyone call a bitch. It is all very exciting in an unpretentious way, and a remarkably entertaining movie for the second on the bill.