FACT OR PATRIOTIC FICTION?

Solemnly, if not officiously, the Daughters of the American Revolution are assembling in Continental Congress to guide the nation through the dangers of a radicalism which, according to the organization, bodes ill for America as well as for itself. Ostensibly, the Congrees was to be quite non-political, since it is not an election year and the reminiscent Daughters could confine their pleasure to thrilling at the memory of those who have gone before. But the inspired and aspiring ladies find it difficult to keep their political opinions out of print; and the spirit has moved their president general to emphasize the need for patriotic education.

No doubt the patrician ladies would be delighted to see another generation of misinformed, prejudiced, plebeians, believing in a country which can do no wrong, and a noble death on the battlefield. No doubt they would like to see a curbing of those college professors whose teaching might lead to disillusionment and cynicism for a college education should contain no more than the uplifting benefits so characteristic of America's public school system Doubtless, too, this 42nd annual Continental Congress would have the fact concealed that the American Revolution was not a holy war led by the leading conservatives of their country. Yet some time, this well meaning organization must come to realize that patriotic illusions such as these are serious obstacles in the grappling with present day realities.