HOUSE ATHLETES ON PROBATION MAY BE ABLE TO PLAY YALE

Probation Now No Bar To League Games But Eliminates Best Athletes From Yale Intramural Contests

Although no definite agreement has yet been reached, there is a strong probability that beginning next year men on probation will be allowed to compete in the contests between the winners of the Harvard and Yale intramural leagues as long as such participation does not conflict with any scholastic engagements, it was announced by A. W. Samborski '25, Director of Intramural Athletics.

"It would seem in keeping with the spirit of these contests that such a ruling be made," stated Samborski, "and personally I am in favor of it."

Under the present plan men are permitted to play in the regular league schedule, but are not allowed to play in the game against the Yale class teams. This ruling has worked against Harvard teams in several instances; for often a team has had to be completely reorganized on the eve of a game to fill up gaps left by ineligible members.

If the new plan is adopted it will mean that a man on probation who must cut classes in order to travel to participate in a game will still be unable to compete, but if a man is not forced to miss any classes in making such a trip, or if his game is to be played at home, he will be allowed to compete in such contests regardless of whether or not he is ineligible for Varsity competition.

The authorities have considered that a man on probation is jeopardizing his chances of remaining in the University by competing in sports. The rules, however, have not restricted sport activity within the University and have been directed only against intercollegiate contests.