THREE FRESHMEN WIN IN UNIVERSITY TRACK MEET

ENTRANTS ACCEPTED IN UNTRIED EVENTS UNTIL 3 O'CLOCK

In the first day of the University handicap Track Meet yesterday, G. H. Bullwinkle 1L crossed the finish line two feet ahead of Arthur Foote, II '33 in the mile run. Shaun Kelly '36, won the quarter-mile race with a handicap of 18 yards, A. H. Weed '36 took first place in the high jump with a four-inch handicap, and a jump of 5 feet, 11 inches, and F. B. Johnson '36, with a large handicap, defeated J. H. Dean '34, and J. J. Healey '34 in the shot put.

Three Freshmen took first places in the first part of the meet, and G. H. Bullwinkle 1L, former N. Y. U. track star, won a remarkable race in the mile run, finishing in 4 minutes, 24 4-5 seconds. Bullwinkle started at scratch and pulled up to second place at the three-quarter mark, trailing Foote, who had received a 25-yard handicap, by 10 yards. As they bore down on the finish line, Bullwinkle staged a final spurt, and finished a bare two feet ahead of Foote.

E. E. Record 1M, last year's track captain, was eliminated in the trials for the 110-yard high hurdles, an event for which he holds the University record of 14 6-10 seconds. J. C. Grady '33, C. A. Pescosolido '33, J. S. Hayes '33, and E. E. Record 1M are among the winners of today's trials for the dashes and hurdles.

Tomorrow's events in the handicap meet will be the finals in all remaining races and field events. Any student in the University may enter any event for which there have been no trials, until 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon.