FLYING CLUB MEMBERS WIN PLACES IN AIR MEET

WIN RACES AND BOMB DROPPING CONTESTS YESTERDAY

At the second annual Amateur Air Meet, held yesterday afternoon at the East Boston Airport, the Flying Club members succeeded in gaining two first places and two seconds. Flying the club's Waco plane, B. L. Fairbank '34 won a closed course race for pilots with less than 300 hours flying time against a field of five. F. L. Spreckles '35, with a borrowed ship, annexed third place.

Harvard also scored in the bomb dropping contest in which pilots dropped small bags of flour onto a target from a height of not under 200 feet. A. M. Brown '34, president of the club got first place by dropping his bomb approximately 30 feet from the mark. Fairbank gained second place with a distance of slightly under 40 feet. The contestants were hampered by a gusty wind which carried the light bombs off their course. The club gained another score when Fairbank finished second in the precision landing contest. The flyers throttled their motors at 2000 feet, circled down to the field, and landed as close as possibe to a line which had been marked off on the field. Nearly a dozen pilots participated, the winner missing the mark by 42 feet.

Yesterday's contest was the first outside meet in which the Flying Club has competed for several years. During its early years the club had considerable success in various New England meets, and the members hope to revive this in other local meets this spring.

Sometime later in the Spring the Flying Club will hold its annual banquet at which new members who are interested in aviation will be admitted.