1936 WILL CONCENTRATE AGAIN IN ENGLISH FIELD

Partial Statistics Reveal History Is In Second Place--Economics Drops to Third Choice

Although the statistics on Freshman concentration are not final, since about 30 study cards are still outstanding, it was announced yesterday at University Hall that while English is again holding first place, Economics, which last year, despite a decided drop, kept second place, has yielded to History. With the exception chiefly of Economics, large gains are evidenced in the various fields because of the unusual size of the Class of 1936.

English jumped from 121 concentrators in 1932 on the day after applications were due to 142 this year. History too had a gain of about 20. Biology jumped from 24 to 52: Sociology from 18 to 40: Classics from 9 to 16: and Engineering Sciences from 17 to 41. This latter gain is largely the result of transfers of men in the Engineering School to the College so that they may live in the Houses. For the first time since 1930 there is a concentrator in Semitic languages.

Complete results on choice of fields of concentration are expected by Friday afternoon.