HARVARD, M.I.T., PRINCETON PLACE 12 CREWS IN BASIN

Coaches Agree Wind Menace Is Not So Imminent Before Noon--Classes Are Only Obstacle

Twelve crews from Harvard, M.I.T., and Princeton will participate in the first intercollegiate regatta of the season in the Basin on Saturday afternoon. The Freshman, second Varsity, 150-pound Varsity, and Varsity crews of each college will race at 2.30, 3.00, 3.30, and 4.00 o'clock, respectively.

The Freshman, Junior Varsity, and Varsity races will start below the railway under the Cottage Farm Bridge, and will finish on the Boston shore just short of the Union Boat Club breakwater. The 150-pound crews will row the 1 3-4 mile course from the Cottage Farm Bridge to a position on the Cambridge shore off the Walker Memorial Building.

The Princeton crews are expected to be in Cambridge on Friday morning, and to row twice.

Subject to further reorganization before the race, the present seatings in the Harvard Varsity crew are as follows: stroke, Cassedy; 7, Saltonstall; 6, Yeomans; 5, Bancroft; 4, Hallowell; 3, Simmons; 2, Pierce; bow, Holcombe; cox, Bissell.

A possibility that the race might take place in the morning instead of in the afternoon appeared last night when word was received that Princeton athletic officials, coaches, and managers were willing to row in the morning when the chances of smoother water are better if the arrangement was agreeable to both Harvard and Tech.

Although he agreed when reached, that the conditions were apt to be more favorable earlier in the day, and for that reason the hour for the Basin regattas had been advanced from 4 to 2 o'clock in recent years, W. J. Bingham '16, director of Athletics, declared that it was unlikely that College authorities would sanction the proposal on account of classes. A similar opinion was expressed by Coaches Haines and Sullivan.