ARGUMENTS BREAK OUT AT MEETING OF LIBERALS

One Faction at Scottsboro and Mooney Discussion Favors Reorganization of Entire Judicial System

A heated discussion broke out at the joint protest meeting last night against legal injustice in the Scottsboro and Tom Mooney cases conducted by the Liberal Club and the National Students' League.

There were two speakers at the meeting. The first, W. R. Taylor '36, presented a detailed account of the trial of the nine Scottsboro boys accused of rape, and pointed out the miscarriage of justice due to racial prejudice. Petitions for their immediate and unconditional pardon were passed to the listeners.

The second speaker, M. S. Tarnopol. grE.S., of the permanent Boston society for justice in the Mooney case, presented the facts in that case. He showed that Mooney was convicted on the testimony of hired witnesses, and that the prosecuting attorney had previously been employed by a detective agency to watch the activities of Mooney in a labour union. He concluded with a request for financial aid in order that the National Students League might send a delegate to a nation-wide United Front Conference.

In the ensuing arguments, one faction favored sending the delegate, while the other, believing the subject had a wider scope, advocated reorganization of the entire judicial system.